Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sunflower Birthday Cake and Thoughts on Mother's Day

This week's special cake is for Avery who is celebrating her 7th birthday today.  I made her a 2-layer white and chocolate marble cake with buttercream frosting.  Avery's special request was for a sunflower cake.  At first I was going to make the entire top of the 10-inch round cake one giant sunflower blossom, but as the cake evolved (designs often evolve in process), I decided to make a bunch of sunflowers instead.  They encircle the number "7" adorned with a trellis of leaves and blossoms.  The sunflowers are set against a sky-blue background and little bumble bees keep them company. 

It's very easy to create this same look.  I used a biscuit cutter to lightly outline the sunflower centers, piped golden yellow buttercream around the perimeter of the circles with a pastry bag fitted with a star tip, and filled the centers with mini-chocolate chips.  If you are interested in a beginners project for decorating your first cake, this cake could be a good way to start.  If you are inspired to start decorating yourself, let me know and I'll be happy to share some pointers.

The rest of the weekend is before me.  Rain is falling steadily, and it looks like we're going to have a soggy Mother's Day.  My own mother has been gone for eight years, and I miss her, especially, this weekend.  But there are bright moments ahead.  I plan to visit my Mother-in-Law Mary Lou.  Even though her son and I were divorced long ago, she remains a very important part of my life, and I love her.  I am so fortunate to remain a part of her family.  It is always struggle to find the appropriate way to remember her.  There are no cards post-divorce to adequately convey the significance of relationships that survive beyond the marriage.  So I'll find the a card that most closely conveys my sentiment, stop by, and visit.  Marylou, mother of six sons, grandmother of sixteen, wth the sixteenth and seventeenth great-grandchildren soon to arrive, is remembered well by many.  The only thing I can think to give her this Mother's Day is just a little bit of time.

It is very good, too, to celebrate Katie this weekend, to share the excitement and anticipation of baby # 2 , and to be Henry's "Granny  O" this  Mother's Day.  Yesterday when I got home from work, he wanted to explore the inside of my car.  When he got out and I started the car, the windshield wipers, emergency flashers, and overhead light were all on.  Remnants of his soft raisin cookie were smashed in the front seat.  With cheeks like that, I just had to smile.  My buddy...

1 comment: