Monday, January 20, 2014

Treasure Map Cake for Finn's 5th Birthday!

When my friend Kim asked if I could make a treasure map cake for her son Finn's 5th birthday party, I was excited. I don't know what it is about oceans, islands, treasures, and a child's imagination (and my own!) but the whole concept makes me happy! I've made a treasure chest cake for my grandson Henry, and a pirate ship cake for his brother Pete, so it's kind of a theme with me for little kids. It was a joy to bake Finn's cake. In the interest of full disclosure, I searched the Web for photos, and found this cake I loved from Tina's Sugar Shack, and used it as my inspiration. Here's a step-by-step of the process, in photos:

"Black and White" marble cake

Butter Cream

A blank canvas

Desert island and the sea!

Having fun creating the scene!

Sailing Ship and Pirate Point

Skull and Crossbones 

That's one big fish!

Dead Man's Rock

Cooper's Cave
(Cooper is Finn's little brother!)

X marks the spot!

Happy, Happy 5th Birthday, Finn!!!



13 comments:

  1. What a fantastic cake! Love the map and the colors. So talented Jeannie. Hope to see you sometime soon.
    S. Moyer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue! Would love to see you sometime soon too!

      Delete
  2. Very cute! I like the red fishie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is just too cute I want to be a kid again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today was Adelay's 4th birthday. On her way to school she admonished Melissa to wait for her to help bake the cake
    So of course she did. It was a rainbow cake with a princess in the middle that Adelay decorated herself :-)
    She is a cutie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Adelay wanted to help make her own birthday cake! How cute! Happy birthday to Adelay!!!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful cake! You are a true artist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a wonderful job recreating the original cake,what a compliment ...thank you so much! Glad you likes the idea.

    ReplyDelete