Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Happy Birthday Henry

There's very little time to blog today, but I can't let this day close without mentioning that this is Henry's 5th birthday. Five years ago this evening, my daughter Katie and her husband Bill changed my life. The most beautiful and precious bundle, my first grandchild, was placed in my arms. Love as I knew it evolved into something new, something deeper, something so profound. Something that will last until my last breath and beyond. Being a grandparent is an amazing transition in one's life. Unlike parenting, this graduated status allows us to love completely but without the weighty responsibility that every decision, every choice might have life-long repercussions! It's a joyful connection, one I knew existed but couldn't possibly understand until it happened. My joy was doubled the day little Pete joined us, two and a half years later. Love can exponentially expand with each new grand baby, as I have realized.

Happy Birthday, Henry. And as I borrow this beautiful sentiment from my friend Liz, who shares it with her two little grandsons, and as Henry and I now say to each other, "Henry, how much do I love you?" "You love me to the moon, and back." Yes, Henry, and Pete.  I sure do.  And then some.





Love at first sight...


Henry at 14 months
(Photo by Irene Goyette, Bennington VT)

On his way to growing up...

16 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Henry and to u grandma for being such a loving, kind, stable and educational force in his life. He and his brother r so lucky to have u. With lovr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Chris! Such kind words, and very much appreciated! xox

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Henry!! What a fantastic cake, Jeannie! Looking at this makes me realize I need some birthday baking advice from you--obviously the b-day cake master. Any suggestions for what to make P for her first b-day at school? Muffin of some sort??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything you make will be appreciated, I'm sure. For a first birthday, I'd go with something very simple and portable! How about banana muffins? Babies love bananas!

      Delete
  3. Another awesome cake for a very special boy! I am always impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing cake!

    Lindsay Cogan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindsay! I bet you could do it - it's like putting a puzzle together (of cake!)...

      Delete
  5. Grandchildren are such blessings in our lives. yours are very special guys .Love there eyes very striking they get those from gramma. Enjoy the adventure Jeannne!!!! Sharron eddy Cataldo


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharron, thank you for such kind words. It is an adventure, and I am so grateful to be along for the ride!

      Delete
  6. Henry is sooo cute! What a sweet post. Happy 5th birthday to Henry!
    And that cake - amazing work!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen! I think so, too (but I'm a little bit biased!) The cake was fun to put together, and not as challenging as I thought it would be. Fun!

      Delete
  7. Who knew all those years ago, that the best years would come with the grandbabies? A very Happy 5th Birthday to Henry and a toast to many more years of new and shared memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely, Di! Thanks, too, for the happy birthday wishes for Henry! xox

      Delete
  8. wow did that time pass quickly, where did those 5 years fly off to.
    Henry is so sweet.
    I love the cake and the fish... soooo clever
    He is so lucky to have a Grandmother who loves to bake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, it was so good to see you at "Boutique Tar-zhay" today! Thanks for your kind words about Henry and his cake. Hope you have a great time celebrating Noah's 6th birthday, too. You're a terrific Grandma!

      Delete