Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Gifting Half-a-Batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies



I love to gift food. Yesterday morning I got up early, before work, to make chocolate chip cookies for my co-worker Lisa's birthday. Her birthday was last Friday but she took the day off, and then there was the weekend, and then Monday we treated her to lunch but I forgot to bake! So, early yesterday I made a half-batch of chocolate chip cookies, boxed them up, and delivered them to her office. (Note: the box pictured is actually a pie box, ordered from Amazon, perfect for a half-batch of cookies!). 

Previously, I asked Lisa what her favorite baked thing is. She replied that it's chocolate chip cookies. I asked if she liked them crispy or chewy, and she said "I've never met a chocolate chip cookie I didn't like!" Knowing I didn't need to make a full batch to create a nice gift, I halved my regular recipe. Halving this recipe yields about 2 dozen, perfect to fill a gift box or your cookie jar. 





Here's the recipe: 

HALF-BATCH CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit 
Line cookie sheets with parchment paper 

Mix together: 
1 softened bar (4 oz.) unsalted butter  (room temperature)
1/2 cup light brown sugar 
1/4 cup granulated sugar 
Whip that together until light and fluffy. 

Add: 
1 egg 
1 tsp. vanilla extract 
Beat well. 

Lightly stir together and add: 
1 cup plus two tablespoons all purpose flour 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon salt

Stir in:
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels 

I use a small cookie scoop but you can use a spoon to distribute about a tablespoon of dough per cookie, about 2-inches apart. I get 12 to a cookie sheet. 

Bake for 8-9 minutes, checking to see that the outer edges are beginning to brown but the centers are just about set - still light in color but no longer wet. Sometimes I add another minute to get there. I bake two cookie sheets at a time. 

Cool on cookie sheets for about 5 minutes and then remove from pans to wire rack to cool completely. 

ENJOY! 

PS - Dear readers: if you share this post with your friends, I will greatly appreciate it! I am working to get my readership back to previous levels. That will take some time, I understand, but a little boost will certainly help. Thank you! 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Readers - I am excited to announce that I am having some Adirondack Baker kitchen aprons made. They will be the standard bib-front with two pockets with a screen printed logo. I will be awarding an apron to one lucky commenter on this and upcoming blog posts. So comment away and you may be the lucky winner! Drawing to be held in the next few weeks. Keep checking back! - Jeannie

    ReplyDelete