Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Easy No-Knead Sourdough Bread

EASY NO-KNEAD SOURDOUGH BREAD!



My baking friend Matt Kopans shared this super easy no-knead sourdough bread recipe, and it changed my bread-baking life! There's no yeast, just a few ingredients, and only a few steps. 
Like many people, my sourdough journey started in the early days of the Covid-19 pandemic. It was March 2020, and I heard Deanna Fox on WAMC's Food Fridays program. She was talking about the process of making a sourdough starter and baking bread. I was hooked. I looked her up on Facebook and signed up for her on-line Sourdough Bootcamp. My starter and I were on our way. 

Many pretty loaves of sourdough later, my friend Matt posted a picture of a beautiful loaf of no-knead sourdough bread, something he stirs together at night and pours into a loaf pan in the morning. Simple as that. So, I enthusiastically asked for the recipe and Matt graciously shared.

For measuring (for the most part) I use a digital food scale and if you don't have one, I encourage you to get one. I got mine for about $15. Worth its weight in gold. (How did I ever get by without one for six + decades?)

Directions: The night before or at least 8 hours in advance, in mixing bowl weigh (if you don't have a food scale you can look up measuring-cup equivalents online): 

  • 450 grams all-purpose flour
  • 350 grams un-chlorinated water (I fill a jug/pitcher and let it sit out for a day and the chlorine dissipates)
  • 10 grams salt
  • 2/3 cup (not weighed, just measured) discarded and unfed sourdough starter. After you take this out, it's a good time to feed your starter. NOTE: if you do not have sourdough starter, ask around. It's been such a phenomenon I bet you have a friend within six degrees who will share a cup. Or, you can order it from King Arthur Baking Company.

Mix well. I use a Danish whisk which is also great for mixing other batters - brownies, pancakes, things you don't need to pull out a mixer for. 

At least 8 hours later or next morning:

Place a cake pan full of water in the bottom of your oven. This provides a moist environment for a softer crust. 

Preheat Oven to 450 degrees Farenheit

Grease/spray loaf pan. Mine is a 9x5 with straight sides. Makes great slices for toast/sandwiches. 

Pour dough into pan.

I sprinkled Everything but the Bagel seasoning from Aldi's on top but a naked loaf of bread is beautiful, too. 

Bake for 45 minutes. 

Cool on rack for 10 minutes. Turn out of pan to cool completely. 

Happily cooling and looking pretty!

Thanks so much for the warm embrace as Adirondack Baker enters its second act. It is an honor to share recipes with you! 

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I now use a mixture of 350g of bread flour and 100g of whole wheat. I add a bit more water (~390g) to compensate. Works great! Works as well with a few starter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt for the recipe and this info. I will give that a try. I'd like to expand my flour horizons!

      Delete
  2. I haven't had a sourdough starter in probably 30 years, but my memories of it are all warm & fuzzy. I am sad to say that I most likely just tossed it after having it around for so long (sacrilege) and most likely making (and eating) too much bread. I have been tempted many times to revisit the sourdough starter, but haven't pulled the plug yet. The photo of this bread makes it SO tempting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Di! Thanks for the comment. I am happy to share my starter with you. I just keep it in the fridge and feed it when I use it. Very simple. It's been alive and well since March 2020! And this recipe is SO easy!

      Delete