Sunday, October 2, 2011

Lazy Woman's Chicken Pot Pie

Today I took what was left of a roaster chicken (about 2 cups meat), a bag of frozen stew vegetables, gravy, and Pillsbury pie crusts and made a really delicious chicken pot pie.  It was so simple it's almost embarrassing!  Here's how I did it:

I took the bag of frozen stew vegetables, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator, and then cut them up in bite size pieces.  This bag, about a pound, was carrots, potatoes, celery, and pearl onions.  Then I melted a tablespoon of butter in a large pan and sauteed the veggies for a few minutes, to get rid of any residual water from thawing.  To that I added left over gravy from the chicken dinner, about a cup and a half.  When the gravy was melted, I added a cup of milk and a tablespoon of cornstarch, mixed with enough cold water to make it liquid.  I brought the veggies and gravy to a boil, let it thicken, then took it off the heat, and stirred in the 2 cups of cut up chicken, light and dark meat.  I added no spices because the gravy was well-seasoned but if it needed it, I would have.

The next step was to line a pie plate with one of the crusts from a 2-pack of Pillsbury pie crust.  I filled it with the hot chicken mixture, placed the second crust on top, and crimped the edges.  A small slice was made in the top for steam to escape, and the top crust was brushed with beaten egg.  It was baked for 35 minutes in a 425 degree (F) oven, and then I let it sit for about 15 minutes before it was cut.

This pot pie was so simple, the assembly took only about 15 minutes.  Here are photos of the whole process:

Veggies and gravy...
Filling the pie crust...
Crimping...
Pretty pie...
With egg wash...
All baked...
Good enough to eat...

2 comments:

  1. That's not lazy....that is smart!!! Just wait till I post my recipe for Sante Fe Soup tomorrow!!! Now thats lazy!!! Can't wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks scrumptious! I need to get lessons on crimping from you. The pot pie looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete