Saturday, January 28, 2012

Trail Mix Cookies

These easy cookies are simple all the way around.  No mixer needed, just a bowl and a wooden spoon.  The idea came to me last night when I decided to do "something" with the abundance of trail mix in my pantry besides eat it "as is."  So, the thought of a brown sugar dough, with trail mix (mine was "Mountain" with peanuts, cashews, raisins, and carob/chocolate candies) and also coconut as well as the last of a package of slivered almonds seemed like a good idea.The dough is basically a chocolate chip recipe tweaked a bit, a great foundation for a great cookie if you ask me!

TRAIL MIX COOKIES
oven, 350 degrees F ~ makes about 3 dozen large (3") cookies
parchment-lined cookie sheets (I prefer parchment over silpat, but that's me)...

2 bars butter, melted
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar (or dark if you have it)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (you could use half AP flour and half whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup trail mix
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 cup slivered almonds

Melt butter and pour into large bowl.  Stir in brown sugar and vanilla.  Mix completely and let cool for 15 minutes.  To cooled butter/sugar mixture, add eggs, one at a time, beating with wooden spoon.
Add flour, baking soda, and salt and mix thoroughly.  Stir in trail mix, coconut, and almonds.

Let dough sit for a few minutes.  Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets, about two inches between cookies.  I get a dozen on a large "half-sheet" pan.  I like to give them lots of room so they come out really round.

Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, until *just* beginning to brown on the edges.  That makes them soft and chewy.  If you like a crisper cookie, let them go another minute or two.

Here's a collage of the whole deal:


Trail Mix Cookies - click to experience (I mean enlarge...)

1 comment:

  1. These are deeelicious cookies! I am pinning this recipe on Pinterest to remind myself to make them in the future :) Thanks for sharing some with me!

    ReplyDelete