Saturday, February 18, 2012

Blueberry Crepes for Breakfast (or dessert)

This is what I had for breakfast this morning.  This is what I brought downstairs to Bill and Katie for breakfast this morning.  THIS is incredible:  a whole wheat crepe filled with blueberries in a sweet sauce, dusted with confectioners sugar, and a spritz of whipped cream on the side.  If I weren't already awake, I'd think I was dreaming.  I have never made a crepe before.  The thought of crepes seemed too intimidating, too froo-froo, too complicated, too delicate.  Until this morning.  These are not delicate crepes.  These are sturdy yet tender slivers of pancake that are open to anything you are inspired to fill them with (sorry for the preposition at the end of a sentence -- it just sounds right).

This recipe is inspired by one I found on Weight Watchers Web site, and the beautiful thing about these crepes, other than being so delicious, is that they are only 5 points a crepe.  Seriously...I could spend 5 points "like that" on something much less elegant.  I can think of so many versions of this.  Katie suggested Nutella and strawberries for another sweet rendition, or for a main course, they could be filled with sauteed veggies and low-fat cheese, or even become enchiladas with a little imagination.  These little roll-ups have me very inspired, especially as I look for new, interesting, and healthy options as I lose weight.  I have two uber-important weddings coming  up, first my nephew Jack and his fiance Kristin are getting married in July (Boca Raton!) and then my daughter Tricia is marrying her love Jeff in the Adirondacks in the middle of October!  Talk about incentive, not so much about fitting into a dress, but about feeling GREAT and healthy and celebrating these amazing couples as they start their lives together.  Oops, I'm getting a little off-track!

Back to crepes...  Here's the recipe, inspired by the one linked here.  You'll LOVE them!

BLUEBERRY CREPES
makes 2+ servings  (5 WW points plus per serving)
10" non-stick sautee pan, spritzed with cooking spray is a must

1 cup frozen blueberries (since it's winter here)
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
1.5 teaspoons conrstarch disolved in a little water

1 egg
2 egg whites
pinch salt
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup lowfat milk
1/2 tsp. almond extract (my addition, would only use for sweet crepes)

In small saucepan, bring blueberries, water, and sugar to a boil.  Reduce heat.  Stir in cornstarch mixture.  Bring back to boil over medium-low heat and cook until thick and bubbly.  Turn off heat.

Make crepes:

In bowl of electric mixer or with whisk, beat egg, egg whites, and salt until light and frothy.  Whisk in flour and combine thoroughly, making sure any lumps are broken up and batter is smooth.  Add milk and blend thoroughly.

Pour 1/2 cup of batter into hot sautee pan, and immediately reduce heat to low.  Tilt pan  to cover inside with a nice circle of batter.  Cook about 2 minutes or until golden brown on bottom.  Using a wide spatula, flip crepe over and cook an additional 2 minutes or until it is nicely golden as well.  Remove from pan to a plate and repeat with remaining batter.  You may have enough for 3 crepes (I did) but you'll get at least 2.  (Double the recipe if you want 4+ crepes.)

In the center of each crepe, spread two generous tablespoons of blueberries and sauce.  Roll up.  Cut in half. Dust with confectioners sugar.

The view from my kitchen window this morning...

7 comments:

  1. I love crepes! And these blueberry ones look scrumptious! Can I come hang out at your house some Saturday morning??? :) And hooray for 2012 weddings! An exciting year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen, you're welcome any Saturday morning! You have so much to look forward to and be happy about this year! Hooray is right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog! Great recipes, love hearing about the Adirondacks (I grew up there and now live in MA)and it sure is GRAND being a Gramma ♥
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings from Worcester, MA! I am again checking on your blog as a Skidmore parent....your crepes are a MUST TRY.....especially 5 WW points....Whoa! I am sure you have tried Ravenous on Phila St in downtown Saratoga Springs......my favorite filling there is strawberry rhubarb apple!! A treat when we are on the road....but nothing beats homemade! Thanks once again for your encouragement to try our hand at something so delicious!
    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you reposted this... these look amazing and we always have blueberries in the freezer. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to book mark this one. I love crepes.

    ReplyDelete