Thursday, October 28, 2021

Oatmeal Cookies Deserving of a Pedestal!

LOADED OATMEAL COOKIES

Even though it's only been a day since my first post in revitalizing this blog, I am motivated to write another because I made these cookies last night and they came out great! These are for Russ, my very own, grown adult Cookie Monster! He LOVES oatmeal cookies. 

If you've ever purchased the cylinder of Quaker Oats, you'll notice that under the lid is the recipe for their famous cookies. It's my favorite basic oatmeal cookie and bakes up crispy on the outer edges and soft on the inside. I make these often. So don't throw that lid away! Mine is tucked into my cabinet so any time I want to make them, it's there regardless of what brand of oats I have on hand. 

Below is my adaptation of Quaker's original recipe:



LOADED OATMEAL COOKIES

Makes approximately 4 dozen average sized cookies or 2 dozen large cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Have ungreased cookie sheets ready (or line with parchment).

Ingredients:

14 tablespoons of soft butter (I use unsalted)

3/4 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (I double the 1tsp. to 2, because I love it)

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 cups oats - quick or old-fashioned (not steel-cut)

1/2 cup raisins

1/2 cup dried cranberries

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1/2 cup chocolate chips (I use mini)

1/2 cup shredded coconut

Directions: 

In large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, beat butter with sugars and vanilla until thoroughly incorporated, scraping the bowl as necessary. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. To this, add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well. Add oats and mix or stir in till evenly distributed. By hand, stir in raisins, dried cranberries, walnuts, chocolate chips, and coconut. This is a workout so use your heaviest wooden spoon and get in there!

I used a spring-loaded ice-cream scoop to make large cookies and fit 6 on a half-sheet baking pan. Then I squished them down a bit to level them out. If you want to make smaller cookies, you'll get a lot out of this batch using a small cookie scoop or a tablespoon. (You can also half the recipe if you want. I do that all the time, less of a commitment!) With this batch, I made 16 large cookies and still had a lot of cookie dough left so I froze that for Russ's next visit.

Bake for 12 minutes (+/-) for large cookies or 8-10 minutes for smaller cookies. You want to look for brown edges but still light, moist centers. If it looks wet in the middle, give them another minute or two. Crispy brown outer edges, light, moist centers. Your individual oven will behave differently than mine, so you just have to watch it. They take as long as they take. 

Let cookies rest about 5 minutes or so, and remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.

These cookies were so large they didn't fit in my cookie jar, so I put them on a pedestal!

Deserving of a pedestal!

If you'd like to see previous cookie posts from ADK baker, click here: http://adirondackbaker.blogspot.com/search?q=cookies



No comments:

Post a Comment