Sunday, March 27, 2011

Weekend Road Trip and Mini-Cupcakes for a Special Baby Shower

It's been a busy weekend for me.  Yesterday morning I drove to Hatfield, Massachusetts (just outside Northampton)  to spend some long-overdue time with my good friend Jan.  We always have a lot of fun together.  Soon after I arrived, we took her golden retriever, Leila, for a walk along the banks of the Connecticut River.  It was bright and sunny and very COLD!  Later yesterday afternoon went to the movies, followed by dinner out at a pub near her house.  When we got back, I was pretty tired.  We watched a little TV before I fell asleep on the couch!


It had been an early morning; before heading to Hatfield,  I delivered over 100 mini-cupcakes to my friend Sue for her daughter Lisa's baby shower.  Lisa and her husband are expecting a son, their first child, to arrive in just a few weeks.  Lisa is the same age as my daughter Meghan, and I remember her as a baby and little girl.  She was an adorable little thing.  She's grown up to be a lovely and still very petite woman, and is so cute pregnant!  I bought a tiny outfit for the baby and I hope that he can wear it for a while before he outgrows it.  The other part of my gift to them was cupcakes for the baby shower.  Lisa mentioned she'd like mini-cupcakes, for a boy baby, with little ducks and flowers, etc.  I used some artistic license and just kind of created as I went.  Here are photos of the cupcakes, before and after.

Mini-cupcakes, beore getting dressed for the party!

Decorated with flowers and ducks!

Ready to go!

After all the baking, it was good to be on the road.  I love getting away, even if it is only for a day.  We did a lot yesterday.  This morning, after a yogurt-fruit-granola breakfast at Sylvester's in Northampton (where I also bought a loaf of their home-made oatmeal sunflower bread), Jan and I rode around the charming and historic streets of Hatfield.  It was soon time to go back to reality, so I said good-bye and was on my way, arriving home in the early afternoon.  I was happy to have time to play with Henry and Peter.  Something smelled wonderful -- Katie was making potato corn chowder for dinner (recipe on tomorrow's blog post!).  It was delicious! 

Now, reality is starting to set in:  I have to get in the mode for Monday.  The most difficult aspect of a Sunday night, for me, is shifting the awareness of being in the weekend to preparing for everything I have to do on Monday.  That means finishing up a load of laundry, getting my gym clothes, and work clothes, ready for the morning, setting my phone alarm for 5:30 a.m., and leaving the house by 6:30 to get to the gym on time.  Sunday nights are always a little overwhelming.  Glad I have happy weekend memories to distract me from the ominous Monday about to arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment