Saturday, November 3, 2012

Pumpkin Ravioli with Wonton Wrappers!


My friend Katie Kane is part of an early-morning "boot camp" exercise program.  Even on work-day mornings, when the rest of us are just thinking about getting up and going, she's out there doing military-style calisthentics and putting the rest of us me to shame!  When she arrives at work at 8:30 in the morning, she's already put in half a day!

Katie's exercise instructor, Jodi, often shares healthy, interesting, and delicious recipes with her students.  Katie then shares them with us, her co-workers.  This latest recipe from Katie, which I've adapted just a bit from Health.com, particularly intrigues me because, a) I love pumpkin, b) I love ravioli, and c) it seems so simple! 

Often times, ravioli is a menu item listed either as an appetizer or an entree.  I never order it because I think it's too substantial as an appetizer yet not quite enough for dinner (does that make sense?).  Personally, I like a bowl-full of ravioli, and seeing a scant few artfully placed upon a small plate with a drizzle of sauce is just a tease, in my opinion.  Now I have a chance to make my own, and a lot of them, knowing that these little pockets of pasta are filled with the goodness of pumpkin.  This rendition is a pretty healthy alternative to the meat-or-cheese stuffed version I typically buy in the frozen food section of my grocery store (and which sit, for many months, in my freezer, never seeming to be the right option whenever I'm deciding what to make for dinner).  The thought of freshly-made ravioli, though, created just minutes before eating, seems very elegant as opposed to the stuff in my freezer!  I'm making them tonight, and will add photos to this post as I go along.  Meanwhile, here's how:

PUMPKIN RAVIOLI with wonton wrappers

Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil

Make ravioli:

1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (use the good stuff, if you can)
1egg yolk (my addition)
1 tablespoon brown sugar (again, me)
1 tablespoon all purpose flour (yep, again)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (ditto)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
24 wonton wrappers (found mine in the produce section - very inexpensive)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chicken broth (I'm using vegetable broth)
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Chopped parsley

Combine 1 cup pumpkin, 1/3 cup Parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (and my additions of egg yolk, brown sugar, flour, and pumpkin pie spice).  *Spoon about 2 teaspoons pumpkin mixture into the center of each wonton wrapper.  Moisten edges of dough with water; bring 2 opposite sides together to form a triangle, pinching edges together to seal.  (I'm going to crimp edges with fork to make sure the filling stays in place.)  Place half the ravioli inot a large pot of gently boiling water with 1 teaspoon salt; cook 5 minutes or until they bob to the top; remove with slotted spoon and place in bowl while you cook the rest of the ravioli and make the sauce.

*If you want to make larger ravioli, use entire squares of wonton wrappers for top and bottom; brush one side of each with water, fill wet side of one with 1 tablespoon pumpkin mixture, top with wet side down of other wonton wrapper.  Crimp edges with fork.

Place 1/2 cup broth and 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in pan.  Bring to a boil.  (Here - I made a change - I let it boil for a few mintues to reduce into a thicker, more intense sauce.)  Add ravioli, toss to coat.  Sprinkle with chopped parsley and more Parmesan cheese.  (Good idea -- double the sauce recipe for lots of ravioli and to drizzle on the steamed veggies you can serve on the side.)

Delish!!!!!

9 comments:

  1. Just love ravoli but have never had pumpkin! Love pumpkin and will have to try this sometime. Let me know what you think. Lynnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious! I added an egg yolk, some brown sugar and a tiny bit of pumpkin pie spice to the filling. So delish. And I reduced the broth/butter to about half by boiling it for a few minutes. I gave Bill the test bowl and he ate all of it!

      Delete
  2. I'm anxious to know what you think…they sound wonderful, and low-cal. I know exactly what you mean about ordering them when you're out for dinner. I'll be looking forward to your pics and review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, I highly recommend this recipe! It's easy, fun, and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word! This looks divine! Ravioli of any kind is my most favorite food in the world! I will be trying these for sure! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, I think you'll love this! Not only are they delicious, they are pretty much the healthiest ravioli you can eat! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. not crazy about Pumpkin,but these make me want to try this very soon !
    CKJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE pumpkin ravioli! I'm definitely adding this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH! I'll have to try this with pumpkin. I've made them for Jackson before with sweet potatoes and they are easy and delish too!

    ReplyDelete