Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Healthy Snacking

One fairly universal question when you completely change your eating habits and go from carb-heavy choices to healthier options is "What snack won't completely undo all the good I'm doing?" There are good options, and here's a brief list that will expand as I figure out what I'm eating in the next weeks and months!


  • Apple slices with nut butters and raisins
  • Vanilla Greek yogurt with frozen blueberries, let thaw in the yogurt for a few minutes
  • Veggies with roasted red pepper hummus
  • Sugar-free cooked pudding (I use Jello's version) - I like chocolate.  Nothing better than home-cooked pudding!
  • 2% cottage cheese
  • a cup of broth-based soup
  • Paleo mug cake
  • Mini-cheesecakes (see my last post)
  • 1/4 cup raw almonds or other nuts
  • Thin-sliced Virginia ham rolled up with low-fat Alpine Lace Swiss cheese  
  • Deviled egg
  • Olives 
  • Unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon and a little sweetener (if necessary)
  • Sliced cucumber in vinaigrette
  • Banana chunks dipped in melted chocolate and frozen
  • V-8 with a couple of shakes of black pepper
  • Yogurt smoothie
  • Dark chocolate (I like Dove Promises - little squares, 5 = 1 serving - I pack just 2 in my lunch)
Here are a few of my favorites of the ideas mentioned above:








These snacking ideas should hold you over for a little while until I come up with more!
Little to-go containers and zip snack bags are invaluable.

One thing I've learned:  if you are prepared, you won't make bad choices.  If you don't buy it or have it in your house, you won't have to resist it.  If others in your household are eating all those things you don't want, ask them to do without them and to enjoy the same snacks you're eating as a measure of support for you.  Maybe you can positively influence the eating habits of those around you as well, and that certainly is a good thing.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Great snack ideas Jeanne ! I have always wondered about Mug cakes,this one sounds yummy. You are influencing me to try and eat healthier. Keep those ideas coming ! CKJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great suggestions....it is nice to have a list ...sometimes we make bad choices because it just faster...with a reference .it is much easier to eat better choices...cant wait to try the frozen chocolate bananna bites...really enjoy your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannie - these are great snack ideas. Over the weekend I bought the snack ziploc bags and made portion sized snack bags of almonds, baby carrots, and pretzels. You have just expanded my snack list! Will have to try the banana chunks - sounds like a perfect dessert. You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you for listing all of these wonderful snack suggestions. I need to be reminded of healthy choices now that I am heading home from paradise and having enjoyed all there is to offer here (some not to healthy!). I will surely include many of these in my first grocery trip upon my return home. I especially like the banana chunks. Although, I can't help but dream about those delicious cupcakes you have posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great ideas Jeannie! I'm going to have to try the banana chunks during the 3-5PM slump. What did you put in the deviled eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marla, I'm a purist with deviled eggs. All I added was a little bit of canola mayo, salt, and pepper. It's all they needed, and I do just one egg at a time - portion control!

      Delete
  6. I'm a big home made salsa junkie! It tastes better than the store bought, you can change up the flavors by the combination of ingredients that you use each time and you can dip fresh veggies like green and red peppers into it (great scooping capabilities with no calories)! It's fun to make and absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete