Saturday, June 21, 2014

Home-Made Ketchup!

I know I'm on "hiatus" while I'm working on the cookbook, but I have to make an exception and tell you about this one…  I made home-made ketchup this morning, and it's SO good!  Here's the recipe - try it!!! (It'll be in the cookbook, too!). Can't wait to give it a test-drive with a burger and fries, but the Saratoga Chips I sampled this ketchup with this morning were deee-lish! (Pete loved it too!) You could change this up with different sweeteners, vinegars, and seasonings. I'm thinking pure maple syrup, or balsamic vinegar. That sounds good too!



HOME-MADE KETCHUP

INGREDIENTS:
2 6-oz. cans regular tomato paste (not flavored)
½ cup packed dark brown sugar
½ teaspoon dry mustard (I used a teaspoon of Dijon instead)
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup water
½ cup white vinegar

DIRECTIONS:In medium saucepan, whisk all ingredients together. Bring to a boil over low heat, turn down to lowest setting and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often. You may need to cover because it’s thick and bubbles very enthusiastically, even at a low simmer. 
Makes more than 2 cups. 



It's even great on potato chips!


Pete, the 3-year old kitchen apprentice!
(aka my cutie patootie grandson!)

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! Hope you love it! I think I'm going to make a LOT more of it next time!

      Delete