Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper and Smoked Gouda Soup

At Skidmore College, there's a cafe called "The Spa" (in the tradition of all things Saratoga), and I eat lunch there at least a couple of times a week.  Each day The Spa offers specials, one of them being a small container of soup with half-deli sandwich.  I love to see what the soups of the day are, and this week I lucked out -- they had Roasted Red Pepper and Gouda soup!  Oh, how I love that soup!  It's right up there with my two other favorites, butternut squash and cream of mushroom.  I was in lunch nirvana!  Then yesterday, my email inbox had a message from Smitten Kitchen where Deb had posted her recipe for roasted tomato soup with a giant cheese crouton on top!  Holy moly!  How many favorite soups can I have on my list?

I could have soup for every meal and never get bored!  It all harkens back to those childhood days of Campbell's tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, which I've written about before.  Seems I keep coming back to comfort foods that continue to provide comfort, even at age 57-and-a-half!  I searched on-line for a good recipe for roasted red pepper soup (with gouda).  The recipe that follows is the winner.  It sounds great, and because you use jarred,roasted red peppers, it's easier than other recipes where you have to roast your own over an open flame (dangerous and risky, and not a good idea when I'm in a hurry for soup!)... 

Here's what I found:

Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Smoked Gouda
recipe from McClatchy Newspapers


Makes 4 servings (total yield 5 cups)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into small pieces
1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (14.5-ounce) reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda

1. Heat olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add carrots, roasted red peppers, garlic, chicken broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes.

2. Remove from heat. Carefully use an immersion blender and purée soup.

3. Return soup purée to saucepan; add cheese.

4. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.


Per (1 ¼ cup) serving: 161 calories (43 percent from fat), 10 grams total fat (3 grams saturated), 16 milligrams cholesterol, 15 grams carbohydrates, 14 grams protein, 165 milligrams sodium, 4 grams dietary fiber.



Recipe and photo source:  McClatchy Newspapers

8 comments:

  1. This looks like a delicious soup!! I think this is going on my "must try" list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kick into high 'soup' gear every fall! There is nothing quite as comforting as that big steaming bowl served with a nice sandwich. (And I'm a dunker...) So many recipes to try on top of all of the favorites, it makes me wish I had the day off. A rainy day like today is absolutely perfect for soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a perfect fall/winter soup. I can't wait to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie,

    I actually had this for lunch at work today, again! I get it every time it's offered. They also had a great pumpkin spice bisque the other day - it was delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will try making this soup...
    (yes..another shameless {but true} comment so I can increase my WINNING ODDS)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This soup sounds amazing. I love soups with a little cheese to make them creamy (also a big fan of broccoli and cheese soup!). Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had this tonight!!! Amazing!!! So happy to have another hearty, delicious soup that is good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely a wonderfully delicious soup especially on a chilly wintery day. Had a cup this weekend from Tootie Pies in San Antonio, TX. If you're in the area you must stop in for a slice of pie and cup of soup and a sandwich. Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete