Sunday, September 2, 2012

Labor Day Weekend, Butterflies, and Hattie's Chicken!

Like many people, I am enjoying a 3-day Labor Day weekend.  I do have a bit of baking going on -- namely a 10-inch round 2-layer white cake with buttercream frosting for a friend's friends.  It's a celebration of her family's circle of friends and she asked for something pretty simple.  The cake is baked and will be frosted and decorated tomorrow morning and delivered in the afternoon.  In addition to the celebration cake, I have scones baking in the oven right now which is very typical Saturday night action in my home!  You've all seen my scones a gazillion times before, so I'll spare you another display of this buttery indulgence.  Tomorrow's cake will warrant a few photos, and I'll be happy to share as it comes together.

Today was not all about baking.  It was also about a little trip to a local tree nursery, Bob's Trees in Galway, New York, where Katie, the boys, and I had a great time looking at pretty evergreens (Katie wants to plant a "Christmas Tree" as part of her outdoor landscaping around her house).  The real attraction, though, was the abundance of Monarch butterflies which have chosen Bob's Trees as a layover point between their original point of departure and Mexico.  I was so amazed when I learned on an NPR segment that Monarch butterflies fly all the way from Canada, and south to cross the Gulf of Mexico in order to reach their destination.  When I look at their little bodies and delicate wing structures, I wonder how they are able to accomplish such an impressive feat.  Pete was joyful at the sight of the butterflies, which at first he called "birdies" but then,  in Pete-speak, fabricated his own version of "butterfly."  He and Henry ran after them with enthusiasm, but without enough speed or skill to actually capture one (good thing - I'd hate to be responsible for a missed trip to Mexico).  I got some good pictures of the chase of the butterflies:


Joyful!

Pete chasing butterflies!

After that, we had a full afternoon with lunch at Hattie's Chicken in Wilton (the satellite version of the famous downtown Saratoga Springs restaurant).  I had a really delicious house salad with a scoop of chicken salad and Hattie's own buttermilk ranch dressing.  Amazing!  Katie had a chicken sandwich with coleslaw as a garnish, and the boys had real chicken fingers and fries.  It was terrific and a place I'll go back to again and again!

Katie said, "I'm getting that next time!"

Hattie's cool restaurant!

After lunch, we made a quick trip to Home Depot where Katie and I bought some mums and pretty pots, wanting to make everything look pretty before my daughter Tricia's bridal shower in a few weeks.  When we came home, Katie planted some new (and transplated some old) bushes and plants in front of her house.  Henry had decided to take four mum plants and, in his own way, set them in the ground, spaced evently, with their little spikey description tags right along side (adorable!).  When he was all done, Katie helped by digging the holes a little deeper and setting them into the ground, since they wouldn't have survived an hour with their entire root ball above ground level!

Henry's plantings... (plus one acorn he found
that will become a giant oak tree!)


I look forward to the next two days of this long weekend, but with a little bit of apprehension as I wait for my daughters Meghan and Tricia to complete their cross-country drive from LA to home, something they're doing in just 4 days.  Meghan will be home for the first time in over a year, and Tricia flew out to meet her in order to keep her company on the long drive east.  I wont' relax until I see them standing right in front of me!

Early tomorrow morning (Sunday) we're headed to The Saratoga Race Track to watch the thoroughbreds' morning workout.  I haven't been to the track this season (6 weeks every summer) and the last day is Monday, so we're cutting it close.  It should be very exciting for Henry and Peter, and I will take pictures (big shocker!).

Hope you all enjoy a  relaxing Labor Day weekend.  All the best!





12 comments:

  1. What a fun day yesterday, Jeannie! Love the photo of Pete with his arms in the air - you can see the joy in his face chasing the butterflies! Have a great time at the track this morning - always one of my favorite times in August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did enjoy our morning at the track, but the biggest hit was the little playground near the main entrance! Not too many horses were out when we were there, but it's such a beautiful place and it was a lovely day. My one and only trip to the track this year. Hopefully, we'll get there a few more times next season!

      Delete
  2. I just loved the pictures of the boys chasing butterflies! Hope you have a wonderful time at the track with the boys. Greg's boys had a blast at the track when I took them. We sat in the clubhouse and ate donuts while watching the horses workout and then took the backstretch tour. Magnificent place to be in the morning! Have fun! Lynnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to take our kids there in the morning, and I have fond memories of stopping at Dunkin Donuts and bringing our breakfast to the track, sitting in the boxes, and watching the horses work out. Perhaps we're starting a new tradition with Henry and Peter. Hope so!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful pics of the boys chasing butterflies! Such happy photos. :)
    Enjoy having your girls home!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such easy subjects, too! It seems every time I turn around, there's a good opportunity for a great photo! And yes, my girls are home now, and I'm so glad! Thanks, Colleen!

      Delete
  4. The joy of a close family...so much fun! The boys are growing so quickly! Enjoy the last days of summer!
    C.June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer is over much too soon for my tastes! I am definitely a summer person. For me, no other season comes close, so it will be a long fall-winter-spring until I can enjoy long summer days again! You enjoy the rest of your summer, too, Cindy!

      Delete
  5. Jeannie, I read, read, read, everything you post and look with joy at the pictures of Katies boys! I just don't have enough time in my day to respond much other than to "like" your FB posts. Couldn't resist today when I actually had a quiet moment before the rest of the family arrives to stop by and sneak in a long overdue hello from Vermont. I am so envious of your time with your grandsons and the time you have to spend baking though you probably see that as your "job." I love to bake and cook, just don't have the time to do it. Must move along now, time to make baked beans, potato salad already done. Miss you a whole lot. I'll get over that way soon, wanna have tea at Carolyn's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, your responses are great, even on FB, and are so appreciated! I would love to see you soon over a cup of tea at Carolyn's!!!!

      Delete
  6. You capture the moments that we too easily forget...the sheer joy on Pete's face from chasing butterflies is certainly one of them. This July, I saw the same smile on the face of Bobby & Bri's daughter Isabella as she tried to catch seagulls at the beach. Bobby used to do that for hours when he was little and never gave up on the hope that he would catch one. The more things change, the more they stay the same. I wouldn't have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I always love what you write. You have a gift with words, and your comments really mean a lot to me. Thanks so much! xox

      Delete