Friday, July 2, 2010

Graduation Cake Time

This weekend I'm baking three cakes. The first was picked up this morning out in the parking lot as I arrived at work, a graduation cake for my friend Tracy's daughter, Michelle.  Tomorrow's cake is for a special fiftieth wedding anniversary, and since it falls on 4th of July weekend, I'm making a buttercream cake with golden stars flying above it (want it to be celebratory and connected to the holiday, but not red/white/blue).  Then for Sunday, I'm baking a special cake for a neighbor from many years ago, a 90th birthday cake.  These are three special cakes for three very different special occasions.

Michelle's cake (pictured above) came together nicely last night after I had been out with my friends at Gaffney's in Saratoga Springs.  I knew I had to get home to get started, but it was so nice outside on the patio.  My Corona with its submerged lime slice tasted so good, and the conversation just kept flowing.  Before I knew it, it was already 8:00 p.m., and I still had to stop at the grocery store for confectioner's sugar and a billion other things.  By the time I got home at 9:00 (after quickly stopping in to Four Seasons on Phila St. to hug my daughter Tricia, working so hard),  I had no energy.  No motivation.  No desire to make a mess in my kitchen.  No oomph.  I had to get my A-game on and dig in.

I made a big batch of buttercream and frosted the big, chocolate sheet cake, decorating the edges with a pretty piped border.  Then I got the fondant out and started playing with it.  It really is a lot of fun.  It's like Playdough.  Once I got the colors right, I rolled it out and cut shapes with flower and leaf cutters.  I made a little diploma, and also a mortar board.  I put the whole thing together and was satisfied it was just fine.  I had a counter full of aparatus and a sink full of dishes (of course, the dishwasher needed to be unloaded) and ZERO energy, so I went to bed at 2: 00 a.m., knowing that I had to be up to get to the gym by 7:00 a.m.

Can you feel my pain?  I now get to go home to my war zone of a kitchen, and that's how I'll start my holiday weekend. So, I'll clean my kitchen beautifully, just so I can mess it up again!  I seem to be in a tornado of baking activity, whirling off one cake at a time but not seeing a way out!  Sometimes it seems to be too much, but then, when Tracy opened the box this morning, and said "Oh!  It's so beautiful!" I beamed with pride and immediately thought about how to make tomorrow's cake spectacular.

I think it's a sickness.

Have a wonderful Holiday Weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment