Monday, July 12, 2010

Summer Party Planning

This week my thoughts turn to party planning in preparation for a combo graduation/birthday party next weekend for my friend Alison's daughter, Katie.  Alison has asked me to prepare the side dishes while she and her husband Mike take care of main courses and appetizers.  I'm excited about taking such a big part in Katie's celebration.  There will be two cakes, one graduation and one birthday, and lots of really good food. 

Yesterday I went out and shopped for all the non-perishable items.  I bought pasta, rice, beans, tomato sauce, onions, celery, potatoes and all sorts of supporting items that will all evolve into delicious salads and a couple of hot dishes.  There will be vegetarian and meat versions of ziti, and savory baked beans.  There will be macaroni salad, pasta salad, potato salad, a green salad, and a confetti rice salad (my personal favorite), with a sweet ending of cake.

This is a departure from my typical contribution of cake, cake, and more cake.  My kitchen table is loaded with bags and bags of ingredients, stock pots are standing by to boil up pounds of pasta and rice, and later this week I'll shop at the grocery store and farmers' market for fresh ingredients.  My sister-in-law Carolyn (extraordinary cook) will come by Thursday night and we'll be putting a number of dishes together, and Friday I'll finish up the cakes.  I know it will be a ton of work, but I'm really finding the whole thing a lot of fun. 

I'll take pictures as we go along and of the finished dishes.  Wish me luck!

Image: http://www.parties4kids.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/SHS1LPL4987.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! Your dishes all sound delicious! I can't wait to see the cakes. :)

    ReplyDelete