Friday, February 8, 2013

Waiting for Nemo and Planning A Cozy Weekend

Schools were closed in this area of upstate New York today, in anticipation of a winter storm named Nemo.  It's almost 6:40 pm, and Nemo has, so far,  only whispered that he's planning to show up. From weather reports on television, he may not hit with full force until very late tonight, and 8-14 inches of snow are predicted for Middle Grove.  I'm grateful I was able to get to and from work without having to deal with him while I was on the road.

When I arrived home, I visited Katie, Bill, and the boys in their part of the house.  They were sitting down to a dinner of Shepherd's Pie (beautiful!), and I was so happy to hear Katie say she made a dinner for me, too (such a sweet daughter I have!).  She had steamed french-style green beans as well as a generous serving of shrimp. This was especially kind since it seems my days of indulging in such great meals as Shepherd's Pie are over, as I have been recently diagnosed with adult-onset diabetes, type 2.  Fortunately, it has been discovered early enough that I can avoid medications and injections, as long as I do what I'm instructed. There have been many medical appointments, and I feel very "high maintenance" right now, something not my usual style. But, I have decided to let the experts direct this course of my life, to use their experience to show me how to live from this moment on.  Much will change, beginning with the foods I buy at the market, the meals I prepare for myself, and even my relationships around baking.  It was necessary to end a long and cherished business relationship with a family I baked for, for years. I am sad about that, but to bake that much, that often is not in the best interest of my health.  I will continue to bake cakes for friends and family, but will not be baking the same standard goodies as often (but will now and then, and donate to friends at work!). Instead, I will be concentrating on made-over and delicious offerings of favorite foods that will become new standards in my recipe box.

For now, I'm limited to mostly vegetables and protein, just for the first few weeks. Very low carb living for the immediate future. It's been going well so far, though it's just been a few days. I will very slowly, very gradually bring whole grains and fruits back in to the fold, but not yet.  It will be so nice to crave an orange instead of a cookie! My nutritionist said that it only takes three days to break the carb addiction, and believe me, I am SO addicted to carbs that I could use a 28-day residential detox program! I was joking with my good friend Liz that I would love to be "committed" to a month-long stint at Canyon Ranch in Arizona, where all healthy meals and planned activities would be scheduled and followed in grateful bliss!  Who wouldn't want a month of such self-indulgence?

Well, this isn't Arizona and the therapeutic warmth of real sunshine seems months away, so I will comfort myself this weekend with fuzzy socks, a warm robe, and maybe even pajamas all day! Tomorrow morning I'm putting a big pot of ratatouille on to cook long and slow, and will so appreciate the warmth and goodness of such a satisfying dish. I'll take photos and post the recipe as I go along. I have always loved ratatouille.  This time I'm making it with zucchini, yellow squash, onions, and peppers -- green, red, and yellow.  To that, I'll add tomatoes and baby bella mushrooms, and let it simmer all day. Each serving will come to life with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Wherever you are this weekend, get cozy, relax, and enjoy some time for yourself.  And please do follow along on this new healthy journey of mine. I'm so inspired, and I hope that the foods and recipes I post along the way will be inspiring to others, as well.

Take care!

13 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing what delicious foods you come up with. I get stuck in a rut trying to get creative making diabetic friendly foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne, there are great resources for these new recipes. One is Ellie Krieger, and my nutritionist has many great recipes and web sites that she'll be sharing. I'm really excited about discovering new healthy AND delicious foods. If there's anything you are thinking of specifically, let me know and I'll be happy to find or create a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'll seen very hard in the but son it'll be so natural you'll forget you ate any other way.... On a lighter note I'm not looking forward to shoveling out after Nemo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dallas - I'm sure you're right. I'm so encouraged right now, and the fact that I basically don't have a choice makes it easier in a way. Today at work we celebrated a co-worker's birthday, and my friend Katie made the "better than ..." cake - a very decadent and amazing dessert. I had no problem saying "no thank you" and just told everyone that I'm not going to be the resident cake cutter anymore!

      Delete
  4. Glad you discovered it before it went any further, Jeannie! I have the Ellie Krieger cookbook...it's very good. Trust me, you can do it! Cheering you on, and don't hesitate to contact me with any "healthy food" questions...been there! Have a relaxing weekend! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I'm actually excited about discovering great recipes that are also healthy, and getting more exercise. It's a motivating challenge, and it took some time but 'that moment' when everything clicks, when you just know it's time, is here. I will come to you with questions so thank you for that offer!

      Delete
  5. While I hate the idea of your needing to change your baking/cooking/eating habits due to medical, I am quite excited to see what you come up with for no/low carbs. My dietitian put me onto low carb back in November and for the most part it has been easy. Good luck and looking forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, I am so psyched to come up with recipes not only for myself, but for you, and for any of my friends and loved ones (as well as my readers) who struggle to come up with foods that are not only healthy but satisfying. It's a challenge I am very willing to undertake, and I am so glad that you'll be following along. Love you, little one!

      Delete
  6. I am most definitely going to be following you closely on this healthy cooking/eating journey. I have been trying to eat healthier for months, but it has been on and off kind of trying. Finding yummy recipes is the hardest part for me, so I am excited to try some of yours. Ratatouille is on my gotta try list. I would make it today, but just got called into work. I will let you know how it turns out. If it is as good as your pancakes I will be thrilled. Good luck as you go on this new food venture. I refuse to say "diet" cus its such a yukky word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loraine, I will find more great recipes for us that will only make us healthier but also taste great. Looking forward to making progress together, my friend. xox

      Delete
  7. OK...I'm so behind the eight ball here. I've been catching up on your blog but reading it from top down and just got to this post about your diabetes. Sorry to hear that sweet girl, but glad for the positive changes that it is bringing not only to your life, but also to those of us that follow you. As you know, I battle my weight constantly and am currently doing the Weight Watchers plan and enjoying it. It's almost like we needed someone to give us a push in the right direction and at least for me, even though I didn't think I wanted to go there, I'm REALLY enjoying it! Ellie Krieger has been one of my favorite friends! I have 2 of her cookbooks and have never, not even once, been less than thrilled with anything of hers that I have made. Her recipes are amazing and Bob & I go through her cookbooks regularly. That's the key, finding food that you can be excited about, then eat and NOT have to feel guilty! Win, win! I can't wait to see what else you will have for us to share. Love you sweetie...hang in there and maybe we can go out for a walk together one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I would love to partner with you as we both get healthier! And I LOVE Ellie Krieger, too! I have her "The Foods You Crave" cookbook - it has more sticky-notes and dog-eared paged than any other cookbook I own. Her sloppy joes are THE BEST! I have that recipe on the blog, way back...it can be found if you search for it! Anyway, thanks so much for the encouragement and support (and right back atcha!) and let's find some time to take that walk, very soon! xox

      Delete
  8. Jeannie - I am sorry to hear about the diabetes - but I know you - and you will power through the changes coming about in your life. You always have such a positive attitude from the little things to the big projects...your attitude is infectious! I look forward to reading about the changes you are making and the new recipes you come up with to share.

    ReplyDelete