This recipe (and the accompanying photo) comes from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food and while it isn't summer yet and you might have to be somewhere tropical to find fresh berries, there's no better day than today, April 1st, to provide you with a fool-proof recipe.
- 2 cups blackberries (8 ounces total), plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a blender, combine berries, sugar, and lemon juice; blend until smooth. Pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing with a rubber spatula to push through. Discard seeds; transfer 1/2 cup berry puree to a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate; reserve for topping.
- In a large bowl, combine cream and vanilla; whip until stiff peaks form. Gently fold remaining berry puree into cream. Spoon mixture into custard cups. Cover loosely and refrigerate 1 hour (or up to overnight). To serve, drizzle blackberry fools with reserved berry puree, and garnish with blackberries.