Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wheatfield's in Saratoga Springs

Last night I treated my friend Catherine to dinner at Wheatfield's in Saratoga Springs.  I wanted to thank  her for all the help she's given me along the way.  Catherine had been my faculty supervisor for my undergraduate thesis, and also served as a reader (and incredible support) for my masters thesis.  That's a lot of guidance and hand-holding, and this dinner was just a small token of my appreciation.  Since Catherine is a vegetarian, I thought Wheatfield's would be the perfect place and it was.  I ordered eggplant parmesan, and Catherine ordered the special, eggplant rollatini.  They were, of course, similar because of the eggplant, but I had myself a case of rollatini envy when I saw what Catherine was eating.  There were two perfectly shaped rolls of breaded eggplant stuffed with cheese, sitting on a bed of broad home-made noodles and all covered in a flavorful tomato sauce.

I make eggplant parmesan now and then, but didn't have a recipe for rollatini.  Catherine raved so much about her dinner that I'm giving you my take on the dish here:

EGGPLANT ROLATINI

1 larger eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 8 slices (peeled if you prefer, though not necessary)
salt
2 egg whites beaten with 2 tablespoons water
Italian-flavored breadcrumbs
Olive oil or canola spray

Mix together:
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 cup parmesan or romano cheese (or a blend)
1 egg


1 cup spinach, cooked, drained, and exess water squeezed out
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese

Lightly sprinkle both sides of eggplant slices with salt.  Let sit for about half an hour.  Wipe slices dry with paper towels. Dip in egg whites and then breadcrumbs.  Spray baking sheet with non-stick spray. Place slices on baking sheet and spray tops lightly.  Bake slices at 350 degrees F until nicely browned.  Remove from oven.  Let cool until they can be handled.

Spread cheese mixture over all eight slices.  Layer spinach over cheese.  Roll up jelly-roll style and secure with toothpicks.  Place eight rolls in baking dish and cover with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.  Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.  Remove foil and bake 10 minutes longer.

While eggplant is baking, cook up your favorite pasta.

Serve rollatini with sauce over pasta with grated parmesan or romano cheese.

Photo credits: http://www.saratoga.com/commonimages/BusinessSlideshow/3402-1877-080813094433-1589.jpg;http://agricultureguide.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/istock_000005797543eggplant.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Jeanne, for your kind words about my help to you. You shine as a writer and scholar as well as a baker. Dinner was divine, and now I can attempt to create it myself. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like I'm getting people trying to advertise their services in the comment section. No thank you!

    ReplyDelete