Sunday, August 28, 2011

She's Here - Irene Has Arrived

Irene, knocking on my windows...
Well, Irene arrived overnight.  She'd already been here awhile when I awoke early this morning to cold spray hitting my face.  Rain was coming in horizontally through my window screen, and with enough force to wake me up.  We're ready for a power outage, though that hasn't happened yet.  I did hear some kind of thunk on my roof, over my bedroom, and I have a feeling the tall oak nearby lost one of its branches. 

Katie texted me around 7 a.m. to say that if I was up, there was breakfast waiting for me.  I went downstairs to their house to a nice plate of scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast.  Pete was playing on the floor - he crawls now at lightning speed - and headed right for me.  I scooped him up and gave him a great big nuzzle.  Not a bad way to start a stormy day. 

A day like this forces me to sit still and stay put, something I am not used to.  Henry's here upstairs with me now.  We just had yogurt for lunch, and he's drawing in my sketch pad.  He makes two dots or one swipe on a page, and moves on to the next, and the next, and the next.  Even Henry doesn't know what to do with himself on a day like this.  I think we'll pop some popcorn on the stove and watch Nemo for the umpteenth time, as long as we have power!  Can't think of anything I'd rather do, actually!

While she's been downgraded to a tropical storm, Irene is still packing very high winds and a lot of rain as she continues her northward path toward Maine.  We can't relax, just yet. 

Stay safe, my friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment