Thursday, December 1, 2011

Chocolate Chip Orange Cookies

I've been thinking about favorite flavor combinations (my favorites) and chocolate/orange keeps coming to mind.  I said to myself, "Why not add orange to my classic chocolate chip cookie recipe?" so that's what I did.  When he came for Thanksgiving, Russ brought a case of Florida oranges that he bought from the Lions Club.  They are almost the size of grapefruits, fairly thin-skinned, with a bright orange zest, the perfect subject for this recipe!

 Right now, in the oven, is the first batch of chocolate chip orange cookies.  The batter has the essence of one of those chocolate oranges that you can buy around the holidays, a ball of chocolate segmented like an orange.  I just love the orange infusion in that ball of chocolate.  So, I tweaked the standard recipe here and there, with the addition of fresh orange zest as well as a little bit of the spice-rack version, and the batter smells so fresh and citrus-y (is that a word?) and I can not wait to see how they come out!  I used to have a tiny bottle of orange oil that my son Jeffrey gave me, and would have happily portioned out a drop or two for this cookie, but it has long run out and a new bottle has not yet appeared in my pantry (hint, hint, Jeff!).  If you do have orange oil,  use it sparingly, as it is quite strong.  Because this recipe uses melted butter, the batter is almost caramel-like and the cookies are extra chewy.  Baked in a slightly cooler oven (350 degrees F), these cook through gently, creating a soft but substantial cookie. I hope you like them!  I know Henry and Peter will, gratuitous photo follows (!):


In their Christmas PJs...



CHOCOLATE CHIP ORANGE COOKIES
oven:  350 degrees F
makes 3 - 4 dozen cookies, depending on how big you make them (I got 3 dozen 3" cookies)

2 bars butter, melted over low heat, and cooled
1 cup brown sugar, light or dark (I used dark since that's all I had)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
1 teaspoon dried orange zest (if you have it) or 1/2 tsp. orange oil
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Orange sugar:  1/4 granulated sugar tossed with 1 tsp. freshly grated orange zest, mixed with fork until completely combined

Into cooled but still melted butter, stir in brown and granulated sugars.  Pour into mixing bowl.  To that, beat in 2 eggs, one at a time, the vanilla, and the orange zest.  Add flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix on low speed (or with wooden spoon) until completely combined.  Stir in chocolate chips.

On parchment-lined cookie sheet, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart (I use a small cookie scoop and get 3 across, 5 down on a half-sheet pan).  Gently press each cookie with two fingers to level them out a little.  Sprinkle each with just a little orange sugar.  Use your finger to evenly spread sugar over top of cookie.

Bake for 12-14 minutes or until bottoms just begin to brown and top looses its wet look.

Remove pan to cooling rack.  After a few minutes, move cookies to their own cooling rack to completely cool.

Start to finish!  All but the eatin'!  (Click to enlarge)


Photos:  my own

Post script:  They're out of the oven, and they are incredible!!!!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer not to post comments that are really spam advertisements for businesses rather than honest comments. That's why the comment above was deleted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you please tell me what a "bar" of butter is in cups?? thankyou..!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bar of butter is 1/2 cup, or 8 tablespoons, or 1/4 lb. I'll make a point to be clearer about that in the future. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daisy Limousine provides the best black car service in the tri-state area. We can provide limo service or airport service in New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut. Our on-time ground transportation service will drive you pretty much from A to B anywhere in the North East of America. Give us a call or book a ride online at your convenience
    วิธีแทงบอลเดี่ยว

    ReplyDelete