Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pitter Patter

I don't know what you like to do on a sizzling hot Friday night in the middle of July, but I like to bake cookies.  When other people start to relax after a long work week, I preheat the oven, tie on an apron, and get out the rolling pin!  I did at least wait for the sun to go down and the outside air temperature to dip a little, but after that it was right to work with Alton Brown's sugar cookie recipe (linked here), my baby-foot cookie cutter which I searched all over creation for, and a lot of flour thrown around!  Of course, my kitchen, this morning, looks like a war zone but that's little price to pay for something that will provide a joyful memory on a special day. As I said on my facebook page last night (and many times before), "It's time to clean up my kitchen so I can mess it up again."  I just wish there was a kitchen elf to empty my dishwasher at night so I don't have to unload it before loading it up again.  I'd love that.  It's very deja vu, Groundhog Day, etc. every time I clean up my kitchen!  Anyway...

These cookies are for a very special friend, Chris, who is hosting a very special baby shower.  She asked for  the cookies to be tied with citrus-y colored ribbons, and using that as inspiration, I decided to ice the cookies in citrus colors as well.  These cookies of soft little pads and tiny toes make me happy  just to look at them!  I flavored the icing with lemon extract just to carry the citrus theme that much further.  I do hope that Chris is happy with these cute little cookies.  I had fun making them on a hot Friday night!

Click to Enlarge

6 comments:

  1. I just love the pictures and know that the footprint cookies will be a bit hit! They are simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never forget the footprint cookies that you made for Brianne when she was expecting Isabella 2 years ago. They were the hit of her shower, no question. Now that baby girl 2 is due to arrive in mid-September, it looks like I'll be placing another order. Proof that the very best things, DO come in little packages...sometimes as little as a baby footprint cookie, made with love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very precious.....and just like the baby...made with lots of love!
    ~Mary Ellen~

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the footprint cookies - so precious. And the citrus colors are such a change from the baby blues and pinks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever mess gets created, it's moot. The end result is another beautiful and yummy treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are genius.I think your friend loves you when she looks that. Winnie the pooh baby shower

    ReplyDelete