Wednesday, June 30, 2010

MAKE YOUR OWN PAY DAY CANDY BAR

Yesterday at lunch about four of us were ready to return to work when we just stopped in front of the candy counter.  We were chatting away when we started a conversation about our favorites -- candies, that is.  I picked up a bag of the new Coconut M&Ms, which I think are the bees knees.  My friend Mary picked up a new Three Musketeers cookie bar (like a Twix).  Carol grabbed a few Lindt truffles.  After we paid for the goodies, we started sharing among ourselves.  It was a spontaneous and fun return to childhood, in a way, for a group of 50-somethings.  I spoke of how I have had "episodes" in the past.  There was that six-month period when I just had to have a Pay Day.  For another while, only Peanut Butter Twix would do.  Almond Joy was another's favorite.  Kit Kat was popular for all of us.  I'm grateful that things have changed and no longer do I need a daily (hourly?) fix of something sweet.  Maybe it's because I am always baking, and the charm for most things sweet has faded.  Or maybe I'm getting older and the hormonal catalyst to search out sugar and fat has waned.  Not sure, but once in a while, a Coconut M&M is a wonderful thing.

Of course, all I had to do was say "Pay Day"  yesterday, and it's had me thinking.  Why can't that one be made at home?  It's pretty simple, really...a caramel nougat center surrounded by salted peanuts.  I found it. The Web site Cooks.com has a recipe that approximates the commercial goodie.  Here it is:

HOME MADE PAY DAY CANDY BARS
from Cooks.com

12 oz. peanut butter chips
3 tbsp. butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
24 oz. Fisher dry roasted peanuts
2 c. mini marshmallows

Pour 1/2 of peanuts in a buttered 9x13 inch pan. Melt chips and butter in saucepan. Blend milk, add marshmallows. Cook until marshmallows are melted, pour over peanuts and press down, top with remaining peanuts and press down again. Cut and cool. "Very good."

One Year Ago Today:  Katharine Hepburn's Famous Brownie Recipe
Image:  http://www.americansweets.co.uk/ekmps/shops/statesidecandy/images/american-hershey-s-payday-bar-4-p.jpg

1 comment:

  1. This version is from my friend, Judy Kennedy, who said her kids always LOVED (still love) this candy bar:

    Oh Henry Bars

    1 stick plus 3tbsp butter or margarine, melted
    1cup sugar
    ½ cup corn syrup

    Mix together and stir in 4 cups of oatmeal. Press into 9”x13” pan (spray with Pam)
    Bake at 350º for10 minutes. (Mixture will be soft and harden later)

    Melt ¾ cup peanut butter and 6oz chocolate chips and spread over the top.

    Refrigerate. Cut into 1-inch squares

    ReplyDelete