Friday, March 5, 2010

Family favorite: Betsy's Brownies

My family fell in love with Betsy's Brownies long ago.  Betsy is a cousin-in-law/friend to me and surrogate aunt to my kids.  When they were young, all our kids would get together often to play and for family gatherings.  My neice Sarah has requested this recipe, and though it has long been considered a "secret," I have found versions of it while researching different brownie recipes, so this delectable brownie is out of the goodie bag, so to speak.  It is with a tinge of guilt that I share this recipe with you, but it is so adored it must be shared.  Be advised that these are no ordinary brownies.  They are more like candy and a little goes a long way, but that won't keep them from disappearing in a flash.  Thanks go to Betsy, not me.

Betsy's Brownies

Grease and flour well an 8" square pan

Get a big bowl and a heavy-duty wooden spoon ready.  Must be mixed by hand.  It would burn out a mixer.  And be aware -- mixing this batter is good for your biceps!
  • 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (32 squares, crushed*) mixed with 1 tsp. baking powder (Betsy's original recipe does not include baking powder, but most I've researched do.  Don't use it if you want the intense density of the original.)
* I crush mine in a zip lock bag with a rolling pin.
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Mix all ingredients together until all dry particles are moistened.  Spoon, push, and level into greased pan.  (It's very cement-like). Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the brownies begin to brown on top.

Cool on wire rack.

Cut when completely cooled.  Cut into 1" squares.  Any bigger is too much!  You'll need to wipe the knife often when cutting.  I use warm water and a paper towel between slices.

 Photo credit: http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps14962_QC10175C22.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment