Sunday, March 14, 2010

Mud Shoes, Mud Pie

If April showers bring May flowers, what do March showers bring? MUD!  This morning I had a tug of war with the driveway and my heavy-duty black clogs.  I should have known better and worn boots, but I had faith and optimism that there would be patches of solid ground on the way to the bottom of the driveway, and there were.  It was on the way back UP that I surveyed the tracks before me.  This area looked more solid than that, so that's the way I went.  Suddenly, I heard slurp and looked down to find my right leg ankle-deep in mud, no sign of my shoe.  I pulled and met resistance -- strong resistance.  I tugged and the earth released my foot, but not my shoe.  I had to feel for it, and in the meantime dropped my keys in the soupy, elastic-y mess.  My shoulder bag swung low and made its own impression in the mud.  After tugging and tugging, the earth finally gave up my shoe and I proceeded forward, only to lose my left clog  three steps ahead.  At that moment, I released a very loud and audible "ARGHHHH" undoubtedly disturbing all types of woodland creatures.  I walked (stomped) up to the top of the stone driveway in my mud-soaked rag wool socks, left the embedded clogs outside, walked through the door and removed my pants and socks right there at the bottom of the stairs.  From there I bolted upstairs to my apartment and into a long, warm shower.

Not in honor of, rather in defiance of the mud, I give you here a recipe for Mud Pie.  It's the only way I ever want to deal with mud again!  Now let's hope for some mild days and warm winds to dry this tundra out!!!

MUD PIE
very loosely based on the Food Network's Version

Spring form pan - 9 or 10"
  • 2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs (crushed Oreos or chocolate wafer cookies)
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1/2 gallon coffee ice cream, softened for about 1/2 hour
  • hot fudge sauce
  • Whipped cream (1/2 pt. heavy cream beaten with 2 tbs. confectioners sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla until medium/stiff peaks form).
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips or shaved chocolate
Mix cookie crumbs and butter together and press into bottom of spring form pan.  Freeze for 20 minutes.
Pack softened coffee ice cream over crust in spring form pan.  Return to freezer for four hours.
Spread warm (not hot) hot fudge sauce over frozen coffee ice cream.  Return to freezer for an hour.
Spread or pipe whipped cream over top of fudge.  sprinkle with chocolate.  Return to freezer and freeze firm.

To serve:  remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.  Slice with knife dipped in hot water. 

Photo image: http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2003/12/01/ad1b05_mud_pie_lg.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment