Sunday, March 7, 2010

Girl Scout Cookie Madness! Thin Mint Brownies

I was driving from point A to point B the other day, listening as I do to NPR.  It's always on in my car, 90.3 WAMC FM in the Capital District and beyond.  This year I finally bit the bullet and actually made a donation during the fund drive, since I've been a parasitic listener for a number of years.  Now a bonafide "member," I'm always checking out (online) more about especially interesting stories.   On March 4, I was listening to All Things Considered and learned how Girl Scouts are transitioning to selling their cookies online.  The story highlighted recipes for all kinds of things created from cookies - bread pudding, fried shrimp, and the dish featured here -- Thin Mint Brownies.

The Girl Scouts and I have a long history.  As a kid, I wasn't an especially good scout.  Didn't give it a chance.  My girls, however, were very involved, rising through the ranks from their earliest Brownie experiences.  The Scouts provided my girls wonderful opportunities for community involvement.  They earned enough through fundraising for trips to Philadelphia and Disney World (twice!).  I started out as the Brownie leader but soon realized I wasn't cut out for it, so my good friend Cathi Jackson took over and took off with it, creating life-long memories for "her girls."  I did, however, continue on as "Cookie Mom" which was a very big job.  Every March we'd manage hundreds of orders and it was a lot of work.  It was all worth it when we saw how much the girls were rewarded for their enthusiasm and efforts. 

Girl Scouts provide the ground work for success.  Cathi's troop has produced a physical therapist, a college registrar, a lawyer, business women, wonderful and dedicated mothers, and independent women.  She's so proud to call them "her girls."  I'm glad I had a hand in that cookie jar.

THIN MINT BROWNIES

Ingredients: Yields 6 servings


1/2 box of crushed Thin Mints Girl Scout Cookies
1 box of brownie mix
2 eggs (3 eggs for cake-like brownies)
1/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of vegetable oil

(or instead of the previous 4 ingredients, your own brownie recipe for a 13x9 pan of brownies)

Directions:

Crush Thin Mints into medium size chunks. Mix all ingredients into mixing bowl. Do not use electric mixer— batter will be stiff. Spread batter evenly in greased baking pan (13 x 9 x 2 inch). Bake in center of oven at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting.  Girl Scout suggestion:  serve with mint-flavored tea.
 
Recipe courtesy of: http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.littlebrownie.com/cookies/recipes/ThinMintBrownies.pdf
 
Photo image: http://www.dietsinreview.com/images/cache/303x300_girl-scout-thin-mint-cookie.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment